- 1 Is Juneau Alaska worth visiting?
- 2 How do I spend a day in Juneau Alaska?
- 3 What is Juneau best known for?
- 4 What tourist attractions are open in Juneau Alaska?
- 5 What should you avoid in Alaska?
- 6 What is the best time to visit Juneau Alaska?
- 7 What is the prettiest city in Alaska?
- 8 Can you see Northern Lights in Juneau?
- 9 What is the warmest month in Juneau Alaska?
- 10 Do I need a car in Juneau?
- 11 Is Juneau or Anchorage better to visit?
- 12 How do people get around in Juneau Alaska?
- 13 Can you drive a car to Juneau Alaska?
- 14 Can you take a train from Anchorage to Juneau?
Is Juneau Alaska worth visiting?
Juneau is definitely worth a visit and if you are not planning on returning to Alaska, combining Juneau with Anchorage, Denali and Seward could be a good use of your time. There is someone going to Anchorage and the surrounding areas then taking the ferry to Cordova.
How do I spend a day in Juneau Alaska?
Fun Things to Do in Juneau on Your Own
- • Walk to the Mendenhall Glacier and Nugget Falls.
- Ride the Tramway to the Top of Mount Roberts.
- Have Lunch at the Red Dog Saloon.
- Take a stroll through the historic town and do some shopping.
- Take Helicopter Flight with Glacier Landing.
- Mendenhall Lake Canoe Adventure.
What is Juneau best known for?
Juneau is home to 280 species of birds, brown and black bears, five species of salmon, and whales (primarily humpback and orca). Although you may not see them all on your next Alaskan cruise, Juneau is well known for its incredible wildlife — both on land and by sea. Juneau is popular.
What tourist attractions are open in Juneau Alaska?
12 Top-Rated Tourist Attractions & Things to Do in Juneau
- Experience Mendenhall Glacier.
- Charter a Ride to Tracy Arm Fjord.
- Experience Glacier Gardens Rainforest Adventure.
- Glacier Bay National Park.
- Ascend to a Great View on the Mount Roberts Tramway.
- Whale Watch off the Coast.
- Get Hands-On at the Macaulay Salmon Hatchery.
What should you avoid in Alaska?
20 Things Everyone In Alaska Should Avoid At All Costs
- Farmed seafood. Flickr – Judi Knight.
- Or buying fish in general.
- Even feeding your dogs farmed fish.
- Eating hot dogs.
- Camping without a view.
- Snacking on chips from the lower 48.
- Shopping at big corporate box stores.
- Drinking wine that isn’t from Alaska.
What is the best time to visit Juneau Alaska?
The best time to visit Juneau is between May and August. You’ll have to compete with hordes of cruise passengers at the area’s top attractions, but the days will be long and sunny. Plus, these months correspond with whale migration season, meaning you’re guaranteed to see some activity in the water.
What is the prettiest city in Alaska?
The Most Beautiful Towns in Alaska, US
- Sitka. Historical Landmark.
- Homer. Historical Landmark.
- Gustavus. Historical Landmark.
- Girdwood. Historical Landmark.
- Seward. Historical Landmark.
- Valdez. Historical Landmark.
- Fairbanks. Historical Landmark. © Mira / Alamy Stock Photo.
- Ketchikan. Historical Landmark. © Pep Roig / Alamy Stock Photo.
Can you see Northern Lights in Juneau?
Fairbanks is about 180 miles south of the Arctic Circle and enjoys sporadic northern lights, though it’s best to forget the more southerly destinations of Anchorage and Juneau, which see dramatically fewer displays. The further north you travel in Alaska, the more likely you are to see the northern lights.
What is the warmest month in Juneau Alaska?
The warmest months are June, July, and August. Normal high temperatures in June and July are in the lower 60s continuing through most of August reaching the middle 60s late in the month. The record high for Juneau is 90 degrees set on July 7, 1975.
Do I need a car in Juneau?
Juneau is incredibly spread out, so if you’re staying outside downtown, you’ ll need a car (or a serious appetite for hiking). The most authentic and rewarding way to spend a night in Juneau is by hiking to a cabin and making it your own.
Is Juneau or Anchorage better to visit?
Anchorage is your best bet, as far as job opportunities go. It’s also the best place to live if you want to do any travelling, due to access to the AK Railroad, airport (Juneau gets weathered in a lot), road system and AK Marine Highway System (state run ferry system).
How do people get around in Juneau Alaska?
Bus tours, taxis, and the local public bus system, Capital Transit, are all options. Planning tip: Capital Transit doesn’t go all the way to the Mendenhall Glacier Visitors Center; it stops about 1.5 miles out.
Can you drive a car to Juneau Alaska?
Alaska’s state capitol of Juneau is the only state capitol in the United States that you cannot drive to. You can bring a car to Juneau, but you would need to drive to Skagway or Haines and take the ferry to Juneau.
Can you take a train from Anchorage to Juneau?
The best way to get from Anchorage to Juneau without a car is to train and car ferry which takes 44h 3m and costs $200 – $550.