- 1 Is Juneau Alaska worth visiting?
- 2 How do I spend a day in Juneau Alaska?
- 3 What is Juneau best known for?
- 4 Where do the cruise ships dock in Juneau Alaska?
- 5 What should you avoid in Alaska?
- 6 What is the best time to visit Juneau Alaska?
- 7 What is the prettiest city in Alaska?
- 8 Can you see Northern Lights in Juneau?
- 9 Is Juneau or Anchorage better to visit?
- 10 Do I need a car in Juneau?
- 11 What is unique about Juneau Alaska?
- 12 Is Juneau walkable?
- 13 Has Juneau placed a limit on the number of cruise ships that can dock?
- 14 Is Juneau a tender port?
Is Juneau Alaska worth visiting?
Juneau is definitely worth a visit and if you are not planning on returning to Alaska, combining Juneau with Anchorage, Denali and Seward could be a good use of your time. There is someone going to Anchorage and the surrounding areas then taking the ferry to Cordova.
How do I spend a day in Juneau Alaska?
Fun Things to Do in Juneau on Your Own
- • Walk to the Mendenhall Glacier and Nugget Falls.
- Ride the Tramway to the Top of Mount Roberts.
- Have Lunch at the Red Dog Saloon.
- Take a stroll through the historic town and do some shopping.
- Take Helicopter Flight with Glacier Landing.
- Mendenhall Lake Canoe Adventure.
What is Juneau best known for?
Juneau is home to 280 species of birds, brown and black bears, five species of salmon, and whales (primarily humpback and orca). Although you may not see them all on your next Alaskan cruise, Juneau is well known for its incredible wildlife — both on land and by sea. Juneau is popular.
Where do the cruise ships dock in Juneau Alaska?
Your ship will make port at the Juneau cruise ship docks, which are located at the southern end of the downtown area. The cruise ship docks are directly across from the Mt. Roberts tramway.
What should you avoid in Alaska?
20 Things Everyone In Alaska Should Avoid At All Costs
- Farmed seafood. Flickr – Judi Knight.
- Or buying fish in general.
- Even feeding your dogs farmed fish.
- Eating hot dogs.
- Camping without a view.
- Snacking on chips from the lower 48.
- Shopping at big corporate box stores.
- Drinking wine that isn’t from Alaska.
What is the best time to visit Juneau Alaska?
The best time to visit Juneau is between May and August. You’ll have to compete with hordes of cruise passengers at the area’s top attractions, but the days will be long and sunny. Plus, these months correspond with whale migration season, meaning you’re guaranteed to see some activity in the water.
What is the prettiest city in Alaska?
The Most Beautiful Towns in Alaska, US
- Sitka. Historical Landmark.
- Homer. Historical Landmark.
- Gustavus. Historical Landmark.
- Girdwood. Historical Landmark.
- Seward. Historical Landmark.
- Valdez. Historical Landmark.
- Fairbanks. Historical Landmark. © Mira / Alamy Stock Photo.
- Ketchikan. Historical Landmark. © Pep Roig / Alamy Stock Photo.
Can you see Northern Lights in Juneau?
Fairbanks is about 180 miles south of the Arctic Circle and enjoys sporadic northern lights, though it’s best to forget the more southerly destinations of Anchorage and Juneau, which see dramatically fewer displays. The further north you travel in Alaska, the more likely you are to see the northern lights.
Is Juneau or Anchorage better to visit?
Anchorage is your best bet, as far as job opportunities go. It’s also the best place to live if you want to do any travelling, due to access to the AK Railroad, airport (Juneau gets weathered in a lot), road system and AK Marine Highway System (state run ferry system).
Do I need a car in Juneau?
Juneau is incredibly spread out, so if you’re staying outside downtown, you’ ll need a car (or a serious appetite for hiking). The most authentic and rewarding way to spend a night in Juneau is by hiking to a cabin and making it your own.
What is unique about Juneau Alaska?
Juneau is truly a city of both mountains and ocean. It’s sandwiched right in between 3,800-foot peaks and the sea. A gold discovery in the Juneau area was the first such discovery that resulted in the founding of a town in Alaska—and that town became Alaska’s capital in 1906 when the government transferred from Sitka.
Is Juneau walkable?
Partly due to its geography—it’s surrounded by mountains and water—Juneau is a compact city. So it’s more walkable than most.
Has Juneau placed a limit on the number of cruise ships that can dock?
Cruise ships with a capacity of more than 250 passengers would be banned from being at dock or anchor between 7 pm and 7 am, beginning in 2022. No cruise ship larger than 100,000 gross tons would be allowed to dock or anchor in Juneau after January 1, 2026.
Is Juneau a tender port?
On 4/30/2021 at 8:17 PM, Blazza said: Our 23 July 2022 visit on Ruby Princess is showing Juneau as a tender port. There are 6 ships of varying sizes currently scheduled in port on that day.