- 1 Is Juneau worth visiting?
- 2 What is Juneau best known for?
- 3 What tourist attractions are open in Juneau Alaska?
- 4 How do I spend a day in Juneau Alaska?
- 5 Is Juneau expensive?
- 6 Can you see Northern Lights in Juneau?
- 7 Do I need a car in Juneau?
- 8 Is Juneau or Anchorage better to visit?
- 9 What is there to do in Juneau on your own?
- 10 How do you get around in Juneau?
- 11 Can you drive a car to Juneau Alaska?
- 12 How many days do you need in Juneau?
- 13 What is the prettiest city in Alaska?
- 14 What is the warmest month in Juneau Alaska?
Is Juneau worth visiting?
Juneau is definitely worth a visit and if you are not planning on returning to Alaska, combining Juneau with Anchorage, Denali and Seward could be a good use of your time. There is someone going to Anchorage and the surrounding areas then taking the ferry to Cordova.
What is Juneau best known for?
Juneau is home to 280 species of birds, brown and black bears, five species of salmon, and whales (primarily humpback and orca). Although you may not see them all on your next Alaskan cruise, Juneau is well known for its incredible wildlife — both on land and by sea. Juneau is popular.
What tourist attractions are open in Juneau Alaska?
12 Top-Rated Tourist Attractions & Things to Do in Juneau
- Experience Mendenhall Glacier.
- Charter a Ride to Tracy Arm Fjord.
- Experience Glacier Gardens Rainforest Adventure.
- Glacier Bay National Park.
- Ascend to a Great View on the Mount Roberts Tramway.
- Whale Watch off the Coast.
- Get Hands-On at the Macaulay Salmon Hatchery.
How do I spend a day in Juneau Alaska?
Fun Things to Do in Juneau on Your Own
- • Walk to the Mendenhall Glacier and Nugget Falls.
- Ride the Tramway to the Top of Mount Roberts.
- Have Lunch at the Red Dog Saloon.
- Take a stroll through the historic town and do some shopping.
- Take Helicopter Flight with Glacier Landing.
- Mendenhall Lake Canoe Adventure.
Is Juneau expensive?
With the average cost across all urban communities surveyed set at 100, Juneau’s 2018 annual average composite score of 134.1 means that it is approximately one-third more expensive to live in Juneau than the average U.S. city, giving Juneau the highest cost of living among the four Alaskan communities surveyed.
Can you see Northern Lights in Juneau?
Fairbanks is about 180 miles south of the Arctic Circle and enjoys sporadic northern lights, though it’s best to forget the more southerly destinations of Anchorage and Juneau, which see dramatically fewer displays. The further north you travel in Alaska, the more likely you are to see the northern lights.
Do I need a car in Juneau?
Juneau is incredibly spread out, so if you’re staying outside downtown, you’ ll need a car (or a serious appetite for hiking). The most authentic and rewarding way to spend a night in Juneau is by hiking to a cabin and making it your own.
Is Juneau or Anchorage better to visit?
Anchorage is your best bet, as far as job opportunities go. It’s also the best place to live if you want to do any travelling, due to access to the AK Railroad, airport (Juneau gets weathered in a lot), road system and AK Marine Highway System (state run ferry system).
What is there to do in Juneau on your own?
The Best Things to Do in Juneau
- Mendenhall Glacier. Glacier views, trails, waterfall, visitor center, rafting/kayaking.
- Whale Watching. Jet boat ride, onboard naturalist, whales, seabirds.
- Mount Juneau and Mount Roberts.
- Trek or Dogsled on a Glacier.
- Bear Viewing.
- Gold history tours.
- The Alaska State Museum.
- Garden tours.
How do you get around in Juneau?
Your Next Adventure Starts Here
- Enjoy Juneau’s walkability. Partly due to its geography—it’s surrounded by mountains and water—Juneau is a compact city.
- Take your bike—or buy one there.
- Call a cab.
- Rent a car.
- Take advantage of the tourist infrastructure.
- Catch the tram.
Can you drive a car to Juneau Alaska?
By Car or “Road” You can’t drive to all the way to Juneau without taking the ferry, but you can get much of the way along the 1,500-mile Alaska-Canadian Highway (ALCAN). Legendary for its beauty, the ALCAN connects Alaska, Canada, and the Lower 48.
How many days do you need in Juneau?
Minimum Stay. 1 day/2 nights, to hit the highlights of downtown Juneau and Mendenhall Glacier. Keep in mind that if you are traveling via cruise ship, many only allow a half-day to explore Juneau.
What is the prettiest city in Alaska?
The Most Beautiful Towns in Alaska, US
- Sitka. Historical Landmark.
- Homer. Historical Landmark.
- Gustavus. Historical Landmark.
- Girdwood. Historical Landmark.
- Seward. Historical Landmark.
- Valdez. Historical Landmark.
- Fairbanks. Historical Landmark. © Mira / Alamy Stock Photo.
- Ketchikan. Historical Landmark. © Pep Roig / Alamy Stock Photo.
What is the warmest month in Juneau Alaska?
The warmest months are June, July, and August. Normal high temperatures in June and July are in the lower 60s continuing through most of August reaching the middle 60s late in the month. The record high for Juneau is 90 degrees set on July 7, 1975.