- 1 How do you get to Carcross Yukon?
- 2 What is Carcross Yukon known for?
- 3 Which is the shortest desert in the world?
- 4 Is Carcross open?
- 5 Is there a train from Skagway to Whitehorse?
- 6 What 2 continents have no deserts?
- 7 What is the coldest desert in the world?
- 8 Which is the fastest growing desert in the world?
- 9 How many First Nations does Yukon have?
How do you get to Carcross Yukon?
How to get here
- Carcross is most commonly reached by car, after people fly into nearby Whitehorse.
- You can also reach the town by train. The popular and historic White Pass and Yukon Railroad, built in 1898, still travels to and from the town along a beautifully scenic route that connects Carcross with Skagway, Alaska.
What is Carcross Yukon known for?
Carcross, originally known as Caribou Crossing, is an unincorporated community in Yukon, Canada, on Bennett Lake and Nares Lake. Carcross is mainly known for its world class mountain biking on the near-by Montana Mountain, and for the nearby Carcross Desert, often referred to as the “world’s smallest desert.”
Which is the shortest desert in the world?
I had crossed what many believe is the world’s smallest desert.
- At only 600m wide, Canada’s Carcross Desert is said to be the world’s smallest desert (Credit: Mike MacEacheran)
- The Carcross Desert is a rare habitat for plants and insect species that may be new to science (Credit: Mike MacEacheran)
Is Carcross open?
Visit us in Carcross and find out how to make your experience in Yukon even more memorable. Open May 1 to September 30.
Is there a train from Skagway to Whitehorse?
No, there is no direct train from Skagway to Whitehorse. However, there are services departing from Skagway, AK and arriving at Whitehorse, YT via Bennett, BC. The journey, including transfers, takes approximately 9h 5m.
What 2 continents have no deserts?
Europe is the only continent which does not have a desert. Some people think that Antarctica should also be included in this with Europe, but Antarctica itself is considered as a desert. Why?
What is the coldest desert in the world?
The largest desert on Earth is Antarctica, which covers 14.2 million square kilometers (5.5 million square miles). It is also the coldest desert on Earth, even colder than the planet’s other polar desert, the Arctic. Composed of mostly ice flats, Antarctica has reached temperatures as low as -89°C (-128.2°F).
Which is the fastest growing desert in the world?
The Gobi Desert is currently the fastest growing desert in the world.
How many First Nations does Yukon have?
There are 14 Yukon First Nations and 8 language groups.